Working out in pregnancy has many benefits including faster delivery, quicker recovery post-partum, and less complications at birth. Exercise in pregnancy has also been linked to reducing back pain and giving you much more energy. Did you know that babies born to moms who exercise typically weigh the same as babies born to moms who did not, but have higher percentage of muscle than fat?
Lets be real – working out consistently is tough anytime, and pregnancy just makes it that much harder. During this time, we all need as much accountability and as many resources as possible because our health is never more important than when we are growing a human! We have to forget all the reasons we don’t want to exercise, and do it for the only reason that matters – doing what is best for baby! (And once we get started, we’ll feel better too!)
Over the past seven months I have discovered a few must- haves that have helped staying strong and healthy while growing my little one a tad bit easier. Hopefully this list of my MUST HAVES will get you moving in the right direction as your sweet baby (and belly) grows!
1) Upsie Belly Band- the bigger my belly gets, the more I appreciate my belly band! This magical belly strap is like a sports bra for your growing belly. Not only is it great support for working out but it's great to strap on when I am going for a walk or just cleaning the house. This thing literally provides IMMEDIATE relief! (hints why it's my #1 thing every mommy to be needs). I personally like this band over others on the market because you can make it as tight or loose as you need to and it literally molds to your belly/body.
2) Beachbody on Demand- It's no secret that Beachbody on Demand houses all of my go to workouts, but since becoming pregnant I have fallen in love with it even more! The thing I love is that it is 1) AFFORDABLE (only $38 for 3 months= $12 a month) 2) It has over 400 workouts, so on days when I am feeling tired I can do something a little quicker and not so strenuous. It has allowed me to try a TON of different programs. 3) Beachbody on Demand has an entire pregnancy program by Autumn Calbrese. There is a workout for every trimester + post postpartum.
3) Under Armour Shorts- I had a hard time finding workout shorts that fit and didn't get to short as my belly grew. My friend Michelle told me about these awesome Under Armour Shorts and I have loved having them for my workouts! Just go up one sizes from normal and your should be good to go.
4) Shakeology- Shakeology is a whole-foods based superfood shake. It’s designed to give your body a daily dose of dense nutrition, which is always important, but especially important in pregnancy! God designed our bodies so baby would always get the BEST of our nutrients while we are pregnant for the healthiest development, which often mean mom ends up sluggish and nutrient-deprived. (Can you relate?!) By fueling your body with the dense nutrients in Shakeology, you are not only giving baby premium nutrition, you’re ensuring there are plenty of nutrients left over for you!
5) Garden Life Raw Prenatal- I chose the Garden Life Raw Prenatal because it is plant based and doesn't contain any additives or fillers. It is specially designed to provide immune support for BOTH mom and baby not only during pregnancy, but after birth as well. It also helps with healthy digestion and elimination with Probiotics, Ginger, Vitamin D, and Zinc. When you're pregnant your digestive systems tends to run much slower, thankfully this vitamin has really helped keep things moving.
6) Pregnancy Pillow- I told myself I would never in a million years use a pregnancy pillow.. but I ate my words when my friend sent one to me and told me to use it. THIS THING IS AMAZING! I have the Leacho Back and Belly one and girls- this is a game changer!
7) A MASSIVE water bottle- I personally have a 32 oz nalgene and I love it! I take this thing everywhere with me, like it's my best friend. We all know that failing to plan means planning to fail. Having my water bottle with me at all times helps me stay accountable to drinking plenty of water!
8) Comfy Shoes- Comfy shoes in and outside of the gym are a MUST! I broke down and ordered the cutest, comfiest wedges EVER (Corks brand) and am so thankful I did. I like having a little lift since I already have some extra weight. Having some cute, comfy wedges to give me a little extra length makes me feel like a million bucks.
9) Accountability- THIS is the #1 thing you need if you plan to stay healthy during your pregnancy! Stop trying to do it on your own and find at least one person to walk through the journey with you.
10) Waiting in Wonder - Waiting in Wonder: Growing in Faith While You are Expecting has been such a gift for me and my husband during this sweet season! Catherine Larson did an incredible job when she wrote this journal/devotional book. This book walks through daily devotions designed to encourage, strengthen, and inspire. Each devotion includes Scripture and journaling space for writing personal thoughts, prayers, dreams, even love letters to the growing baby. If you are an expectant mom or have a close friend who is, go right now and order this book.
For all my mamma- to-be friends, invest in these items! You might try to talk yourself out of a few of these items due to price but DON'T! You are growing a human and your body needs the best nutrition, support and help it can get right now.
Comment below with quesitons, concerns or any comments you might have! I would LOVE to hear from you!
You can also find me on instagram and facebook.
Drink More Water Challenge:
FREE Drink More Water Challenge!
Sign up here.
Look Into Beachbody Coaching:
November 6th- Sign up here.
Family Matters Bootcamp
Don't Just Survive.. THRIVE Bootcamp.
Sign up for info on bootcamps here.
Want my FREE Prayer Prompts to Pray over Your Fitness Journey? Leave your info below to get it sent to your inbox today!